Make a phone call today to improve special education for students with disabilities in Pennsylvania!
Call or e-mail your state senator today and ask for a vote in favor of Senate Bill 1115. THE SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE VOTES TODAY AND THE FULL SENATE VOTES ON WEDNESDAY.
Even in this tough year, we are close to making historic progress for children with disabilities.
SB 1115 is reform legislation for special education funding and accountability. More than 40 groups have worked to enact these positive reforms for several years, and the bill is now getting close to final passage.
Find the Harrisburg office phone number and e-mail address of the state senators here – http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/#address.
E-mail or call their Harrisburg office and leave a message, asking for a vote in favor of SB 1115.
Thanks to all of the groups and their members for getting involved and making this happen for children with disabilities.
TALKING POINTS for calling the Harrisburg office of your local state senator:
• “Please vote for Senate Bill 1115, the special education reform bill, when it comes up for a vote this week.”
• “Senators Browne and Dinniman are the leads sponsors. The bill has 29 cosponsors and Senator Piccola, Chair of the Education Committee, is also supporting the bill.”
• “I am asking you to support reform of the state funding and accountability system for special education.”
• “This legislation was approved 173-25 by the full House of Representatives in 2010, and has now been re-introduced as SB 1115. The bill does not call for any new funding in 2012-13.”
• “The current funding system is broken, is unfair, and does not provide enough resources for special education in the right places. The broken system sets the number of students eligible for state funding for special education at 16 percent regardless of whether the school district has fewer or more students receiving special education. It also does not focus the funding on strategies that have a track record for improving student performance.”
• “The school districts you represent need support for special education, and must be held accountable for results.”
• “I have personal experience with how this broken system hurts children with disabilities and all students.” (Describe your experience.)
• “Thank you for supporting this important issue and voting for SB 1115 when it comes up this week.”
VOICES OF SUPPORT
2010 video from Senate hearing on special education reform legislation
SPECIAL EDUCATION FUNDING
The Bill: HB 2
Read the full report: Costing-out Special Education Funding
Read the executive summary: Costing-out Study: Executive Summary
View statewide data report:
Pa. Data on Special Education
View a presentation on:HB 704
TAGSAbove Average Jane charters coalition Education Law Center funding Harrisburg HB 2 HB2 HB 11 HB 704 HB704 hearing hearings House House Education Committee Lancaster Lancaster County map Media notebook Organizing parent Pennsylvania philadelphia Pittsburgh Pocono Record Pottstown reform Rep. McIlvaine-Smith Rep. O'Neill Rep. Roebuck Rep. Sturla SB 940 SB 1115 Sen. Browne Sen. Dinniman Senate senate education committee special ed special educaiton funding special education special education funding special education funding reform York Zahorchak